Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Use it Up, Wear it Out and Make it into Something Else!




A few years ago my favorite charcoal gray winter coat finally wore out.  The ends of the sleeves were threadbare, the buttons (several times re-sewn) had taken big chunks of wool with them when they popped off for the last time and the collar began to look lumpy instead of crisp and neat.  I begrudgingly put it in the Salvation Army pile, but then realized that NOBODY would want it!  Even Salvation Army would throw this pitiful pile of wool away!  

In a stroke of genius I realized that not every part of the coat was worn out.  The back of the coat was practically new as were the tops of the sleeves.  I felt a bit nostalgic for the Great Depression when I began to cut up my beautiful-only-to-me coat to make something else useful.  All the while the famous mantra, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" ran through my mind.  And what did I make?  A tote bag, of course.   And an over-the-shoulder bag, of course.  I didn't realize these are the only things I've been making lately until I started this blog!!!  I can sew other things, believe me!  

I love the grey pinstripe lining in the totebag--it seriously makes me so happy every time I peek in my bag!  I also cut up a pair of my daughter's favorite, yet very worn out (but not in all places!) pepto-bismol pink velvet jeans to be the lining of the shoulder bag.  She was a little surprised to see her jeans reincarnated as a bag--including the pockets!  Do you have a favorite shirt, pair of jeans, coat, etc. lurking in your closet, just waiting at a chance for a new life as a tote bag, stuffed animal, applique, etc?  You should give re-purposing a try!

2 comments:

DC said...

Janika, you are a genius, truly. Those bags are adorable!

lady ace said...

fix it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without! i hope someday i'm as craft-savvy and resourceful as you!!