Tuesday, May 6, 2008

In the Beginning


As a five year old I remember sitting at my grandma's dining room table while she and my mother wrestled with the delicate paper pattern pieces to sew me the most delightful skirt I could imagine: a reversible wrap skirt with denim on one side and red gingham on the other.   As I watched them unfold the red and denim yards of fabric I remember being so confused at how those large pieces of fabric could ever transform themselves into the picture on the front of the pattern.  I imagined how this skirt was to become the best start of my kindergarten wardrobe.  
Several years later summer vacation was a few days underway and my father must have sensed my absolute boredom and hopelessness that anything exciting would happen the entire summer.  He suggested that I learn how to sew.  My mother arranged to tutor her friend's daughter in reading if she would teach me how to sew.  I was anxious at first.  Under my teacher's watchful eye it took me two hours to cut out the most simple t-shirt pattern because I was so afraid of cutting outside of the lines.  Once a bit more confident, I became a monster.  In an effort to encourage my new hobby my father offered to buy me all the fabric I could sew, an offer that was quickly rescinded once he realized I was asking for a ride to the fabric store several times a week!  And can I just say that I haven't stopped sewing since?!!  
Yes, there have been times when I just didn't have time to devote to this obsession, but it has always been a calming, centering activity for me--one that I hope to do more and teach to my children.  I hope this blog will be a chance for me to share thoughts on sewing, life, children and other things important to me.  The name of this blog "Run 'n Stitch" comes from a sewing class I taught at our church one morning a week where the moms stitched while the kids ran and played in the gym.  I think this allusion to the sewing term "running stitch" is much like my life--I run around a lot with my four children and all of their activities and stitch when I can to maintain calm and sanity!  I look forward to this blogging adventure and welcome you to join me!

3 comments:

ellen said...

Yay! Janika's a blogger!!

Whitney said...

Janika -

This is so cool! You started a blog -- I love it, love it! I am traveling right now, but can't wait to read your updates, and will include in my google reader!

Welcome to the wonderful adventure of blogging... and I love your title.

Whitney

DC said...

I love the title and subject of your blog. It's just perfect for you (although now you'll be so busy blogging that you won't have time for stiching!)