Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Reuse, Recycle & Renew




















A few years ago my friend was throwing out a pile of upholstery fabric samples and asked if I would like any of them.  Of course, I had to take a look!  Many of these fabrics were obviously from the 70s and 80s and oh so cool.  One of my favorites was this butter yellow/chartreuse/cornflower blue floral bit 'o fabric.  Also in her give away stash was this wonderful pompom trim reminiscent of my 1970s childhood bedroom.

My scavenged finds were all very lonely in my stash until I found the perfect "re-use"--a tote bag for my younger sister. She's the type who shopped at Savers and loved vintage style before it was cool (at least among the mainstream!) and so I thought she would love this print made as a tote bag for all her knitting supplies. I lined it with leftover fabric from another project and included inside pockets for all her supplies.  It all turned out so cute I was seriously tempted to keep it for myself!  

On a side note, I do love the little sister on the side of the photo peeking at what all the fuss is about.  She is definitely my most curious child and no secret, bit of news or detail gets by her!


4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Janika-
I'm so excited about your blog! And I love this bag.

lady ace said...

Hey!! That's my bag! I love that bag so much! It's supposed to be a knitting bag--and it is a lot of the time--but I use it for everything. I love all the pockets. I get compliments on it all the time. Make more!

kel bel said...

What a great blog, Janika. I love it! You are such a creative mastermind that it would be an injustice (in the hiding-your-light-under-the-bushel sense) for you to not share all this wisdom! I can wait to get some of your sewing secrets. I love these bags you make--brilliant!

Lori said...

Hey Janika!

You found my blog! Thanks for leaving a comment. Now I've found you. I'll try to track down your email.
~Lori