Thursday, February 26, 2009

Enough to Make My Heart Flutter

A few years ago on the eve of the "Boston's Best Day" (aka Patriot's Day), a stroke of genius hit and I decided to sew all three of my girls mob caps to wear to the 5:30 a.m.  re-inactment of the shot heard round the world.  Well, much to my dismay NONE of the girls would wear them!  I was so disappointed and stuck them in the bottom of the dress up box.  Just the other day while rummaging for something else in the basement, I came across the mob caps and brought them up with high hopes for this Patriot's Day.   This little cutie took her cap from my arms, promptly placed it on her head and asked if she could sleep in it to keep her hair from getting messed up!  She slept in it, all right, and came home from school and immediately put it back on top of her braids.  In the midst of all our dinnertime/homeworktime chaos, I found her peacefully reading the story of Abraham Lincoln while wearing her sweet mob cap.  Now that's enough to make my mother/historian-wannabe heart flutter!  Love that girl!

p.s. Want to sew your own historically accurate mob cap?  See here for directions.

4 comments:

lady ace said...

oh man! that's the greatest thing i've ever seen!! i love to see that much patriotism in a child. do you think she'd wear a pioneer bonnet if i made her one?

Elisabeth said...

I was just catching up on your blog. What cute, creative ideas you have! I feel like now that you're in primary I never see you anymore!

Don and LauRene said...

I have never heard of a "mob cap". I have heard of a night cap because my mother and father slept in a bed in a screened in porch. They had many blankets and quilts. My mother had a cap that we called a "night cap" that looked like your "mob cap". My father's hat would tie below his chin to cover his ears. He also had a night shirt that only went to his knees! Is this history that you would like to know Janika?

Love, Grandma Great

dana said...

Hey Janika,
YES! You're Erik Isakson's sister?! Of course I know him (and Jenille). He actually took our wedding pics for us. Funny that you would find my blog such a random way! I love the internet.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love finding fellow-sewer/crafters!
- dana