Sunday, August 16, 2009

One of My Very Favorite Things




One of my very favorite things about the Boston area is the Lowell Folk Festival, usually held the last weekend in July. It's at the top of my list because it combines several of my loves: history (held in the midst of the historic Lowell Cotton Mills), food (the festival invites ethnic groups from all over the area to sell food) and folk music (we saw Irish, Brazilian and Greek groups). It's all outdoors, it's free, it's kid-friendly and it's totally awesome. Highlights from this year included a commuter train ride to Lowell, a boat ride down the main canal in the city (canals were used to power the cotton mills), a trolley ride from one end of the festival to the other, and the Brazilian Capoeira group (amazing and incredible is an understatement). Oh, and on our way to the festival we discovered Danas Fruit & Confectionery, an early 20th Century establishment complete with tin ceilings, an ancient cash register and an old-fashioned ice cream and candy counter. Have I sold you on it yet? I mean it-- you should really, really come from far and near to attend this fabulous event.

1 comment:

DC said...

How have I never heard of this before? We'll be there next year, for sure!