Monday, August 4, 2008

Hooray for Zinnias




I've said it before, and I'll say it again--I am a very faithless gardener.  I really have this gut feeling that nothing I plant will really grow at all, let alone thrive.  Planning a garden in February (as Martha and my uber-organized husband recommend) almost sends me into a panic because I just know that nothing will grow in this rocky New England soil.  Thankfully this year I have been proven wrong.  You know what grows lush and colorful and in abundance in my yard--my yard of all places?!!  ZINNIAS.  Who knew?  A neighbor gave us the seeds last year and in February, with spread sheet and map of the garden in hand, The Mr. offered to plant them in the little starter planters.  Just to see what would happen.  Well talk about exceeding expectations.  These babies out grew every other type of seedling we started and was just begging to be planted.  Finally in May I planted them closer together than the seed packet recommended and look what happened!  Apparently zinnias are self sowers, so even though I only planted a few plants, they have spread and filled out like crazy.  I think next year's garden will be all zinnias.  Doesn't that sound wonderful and colorful?  Maybe there is room for faith afterall.  Oh, and how 'bout these cute little gardeners who just happened to be wearing the same colors as our zinnias!

1 comment:

Shawni said...

Those flowers are gorgeous!! I wish I could grow stuff like that here! Thanks for your nice comment on my blog.